GREGORY J. OWEN
With a legal career that spans nearly four decades, Greg has set records, secured billions, and fought to the end when other attorneys would have given up. The reason is simple: He cares about people. He has handled thousands of cases, ranging from motor vehicle accidents and aviation disasters to dangerous pharmaceuticals and wrongful death.
Known throughout the legal community as a pioneer in personal injury law, Greg has gained nationwide recognition for his legal efforts. He has been featured on The O’Reilly Factor, Dr. Phil, ABC, and Dr. Drew for his involvement in high-profile cases, such as the Miramonte Elementary Sex Abuse Scandal and the First Lutheran Church Sex Abuse case. Frequently sought after for his legal expertise in aviation disasters, he has traveled across the world to India, Australia, Pakistan, and Yugoslavia, to represent airplane crash victims.
Greg has obtained numerous multi-million dollar settlements for his clients, including a $25 million jury verdict for the family of a young girl involved in a hit and run accident. The National Law Journal highlighted the court judgment in its publication, listing it as one of the Top 100 Verdicts of 2013. He also recovered a landmark settlement of $35 million for a 12-year-old girl who suffered brain damage. Never one to shrink back from a fight for justice, Greg has gone up against leading pharmaceutical companies for their deceptive practices. He filed the first complaint against Merck & Co. for its arthritis drug Vioxx, resulting in a $4.85 billion settlement.
Acknowledged for his superior legal ability by his peers, Greg has been named to the Super Lawyers list multiple years since 2005. He also earned inclusion in the National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. A testament to his professionalism and integrity, he holds an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating for professional excellence and adherence to ethical standards. However, his most prized honor is the American Board of Trial Lawyers Award (ABOTA). Entry into this exclusive group is by invitation only and requires a unanimous vote for membership. Greg’s outstanding legal work and commitment to clients have also been highlighted in various publications. He was voted one of the Top 25 attorneys in the region by Valley Magazine, and Lawdragon named him one of the Leading 3000 Lawyers in America.
Greg’s introduction to law was anything but conventional. Wounded in a drive-by shooting at age 11, his interaction with the district attorney became a catalyst for his interest in law. Greg went on to receive his B.A. from California State University, Dominguez Hills, and later obtained his J.D. degree from Southwestern Law School. He has memberships with the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the State Bar of California, the California Trial Lawyers Association, the Consumer Attorneys Association of California (CAOC), and the Consumer Association of Los Angeles (CALA).
As part of his dedication to cultivating educational opportunities for those in need, Greg established the Franklin Scholarship Foundation to help underserved students in East Los Angeles earn college degrees. He has been actively involved in his community, providing pro bono legal counsel to at-risk youth, and has coached several baseball and soccer teams over the past 30-plus years.
The father of six, Greg enjoys spending time with his partner in life and business Susy, and their children.
- JD – Southwestern University School of Law
- BA Philosophy – California State University-Dominguez Hills
- State of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
Honors & Awards
- American Board of Trial Lawyers Award (ABOTA)
- 5.0 “AV” Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- California’s $1 Million Dollar Verdicts
- Law Dragon 3000 – Leading Lawyers in America
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum & Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
- Rue Ratings’ Best Attorneys of America Lifetime Charter Member
- Super Lawyers – Southern California
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Nominee
- Best of the Best Attorneys Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney
- The Golden Advocate Awards – Largest Verdict
- American Board of Trial Advocates Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America Member
- The Metropolitan Who’s Who Registry
- Litigator Awards
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- California Trial Lawyers Association
- The Williams S Hart Boys and Girls Pony League – Board of Directors and Pro Bono Legal Counsel
- Franklin Scholarship Foundation