RICHARD A. PATTERSON
Rick specializes in getting results for accident victims involved in catastrophic motor vehicle accidents, including automobile, truck, motorcycle, motorhome, and bicycle accidents. He secured a $30 million settlement for victims of the Metrolink crash in Chatsworth, California, one of the most horrific train accidents in California history. A reflection of his dogged determination to protect children, Rick initiated a lawsuit involving his daughter as the plaintiff to secure a restraining order against self-proclaimed pedophile Jack McClellan, prohibiting him from being within 30 feet from any minor in California. Shortly after, he worked diligently with Assemblyman Cameron Smyth on Assembly Bill 534, making surrogate stalking, or providing information that helps pedophiles commit crimes against children illegal.
Equally impactful as Rick’s ability to recover compensation for clients is his dedication to making Santa Clarita a thriving place for children, families, and seniors. For more than two decades, he has directed the Santa Clarita Valley Facilities Foundation in its mission to acquire and develop new school sites for public schools as president. The organization has generated $25 million in assets to benefit local schools. He also helped raise $1 million for the William S. Hart Union High School District to construct shade structures for 10 Hart District schools.
Along with his efforts to create more educational resources for the youth of Santa Clarita is Rick’s commitment to the business community. He has served as a panel attorney for the California Association of Realtors and founded Valencia National Bank to support the needs of small businesses. Rick’s business acumen and real estate background provide him with a unique insight into corporate dealings, which he uses to dismantle corporate defenses when representing clients against large companies.
Known for making things happen by peer members of the legal community and Santa Clarita residents alike, Rick has earned several accolades and prestigious honors. He has been named one of the Top 51 Influential People in Santa Clarita for over 10 years running. He was also presented with a Litigator Award, the highest honor in trial law. The Santa Clarita Valley Bar Association honored him with the prestigious Dan Hon Memorial Award as well. Rick has previously been recognized as Best Personal Injury Attorney by the Santa Clarita Signal Newspaper.
Rick holds a J.D. from the University of La Verne, and a Bachelor’s in Economics from Brigham Young University. In addition to his involvement as a member of the American Bar Association, he also serves on the Attorney Advisory Panel. He is licensed to practice in California and before the U.S. Supreme Court.
A true family man, Rick enjoys spending time with his wife Ann, a special needs educator, and their many grandchildren. Father of eight, along with a love of kids, he and his wife also share a passion for philanthropic work.
- JD – University of La Verne
- BA Economics – Brigham Young University
- State of California
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
Honors & Awards
- Litigator Awards
- SCV Man of the Year Nominee
- Leader of Character
- Dan Hon Memorial Award for Outstanding Legal Services
- Newsmaker of the Year (Behind the Scenes)
- California’s $1 Million Dollar Verdicts
- Rue Ratings’ Best Attorneys of America Lifetime Charter Member
- Santa Clarita Valley’s 51 Most Influential People 2011- 2020
- The Signal’s Best of the SCV – Personal Injury Firm
- The Signal’s Santa Clarita’s Most Influential
- The Signal’s Best of SCV – Best Injury Attorney
- The Signal’s Best of SCV – Best Criminal Attorney
- American Bar Association
- Attorney Advisory Panel – California Association of Realtors
- Valencia National Bank – Founder
- Santa Clarita Valley Facilities Foundation – President
- William S Hart Union High School District