Your Guide to Bakersfield Museum of Art in Bakersfield
Have you ever been to a museum and felt like you were missing out? Like, you could see all the art, but there was so much more that you just couldn’t get to?
Well, we have some good news for you. The Bakersfield Museum of Art is here to help—and it’s ready to help as much as you want it to!
Located in Bakersfield, California, this museum is packed with exhibits from all over the world. It’s also got some pretty amazing permanent collections: American paintings and drawings, European paintings, Asian art… the list goes on!
And if you’re looking for something special, there’s always the option of taking a guided tour or attending a lecture or workshop. The possibilities are endless at this fantastic place!
About Bakersfield Museum of Art
The Bakersfield Museum of Art started in 1956 and at the time it was called Cunningham Memorial Art Gallery. The purpose behind setting up the museum was to honor Marion Osborn Cunningham as she was Walter Osborn’s daughter. This donation is what led to the museum being set up in Bakersfield.
When the gallery was set up, the gallery was given to the city — which meant that it was free to the public. The museum’s mission was to be a community art center, which included hosting exhibitions and providing educational opportunities for the people of Bakersfield.
Over time, this has become synonymous with local history and has a long list of meaningful art pieces on-site. This also includes the gorgeous exhibitions set up throughout the year for visitors to enjoy.
Events at the Bakersfield Museum of Art
The Bakersfield Museum of Art has a number of events that you can attend to enjoy the art while having fun with your friends and family. Some of the key events at the Bakersfield Museum of Art include:
- Yoga at the Museum – The Yoga at the Museum is an event where you can bring your yoga mat and enjoy a relaxing time while exercising. The event is held in the museum’s outdoor garden, so it’s not just yoga—it’s yoga in nature!
- Bella Fiesta! – The Bella Fiesta! is another great event that happens once a month. At this event, there are live performances by local musicians, as well as food trucks and other vendors selling their wares. There’s also a cash bar for adults so you can enjoy some drinks while enjoying the music!
- Via Arte – Via Arte is a special event where you can learn about artists from around the world who use various mediums to create amazing works of art. This event involves lectures from these artists, who will demonstrate how they create their pieces using different techniques and methods.
- LunaFest – LunaFest is another great opportunity to learn about artists from all over the world—this time focusing on those who work with glass. At this event, you’ll have an opportunity to see some of these works up close as well as hear about how they’re made from the artists themselves!
- Art After Dark – Art After Dark is an event that is held on the first Friday of every month. At this event, you can enjoy art in many different forms and mediums, including photography, paintings and sculptures. There are also live performances by musicians who play everything from jazz to pop music!
Exhibitions at the Museum
When it comes to showcasing some of the finest art pieces on offer, it’s essential to look at the main exhibitions being hosted at the Bakersfield Museum of Art.
It starts with the “Of Rope and Chain…” exhibition, which includes the tactile use of key elements in crafting mesmerizing art pieces. These works are done by some of the best including Lavialle Campbell, Pamela Smith Hudson, and Blue McRight to name a few.
Another exhibition at the museum is “Under the Kern County Sky”, which focuses on Prapat Sirinavarat’s spiritual look into the world of art. His paintings are all about surrealism and looking at a balance between culture and artistic nuance. It’s an enticing look into these elements.
To maximize time spent at the museum, it’s best to look at the pricing
- Students – $25
- Individuals – $45
- Families – $80
What’s included in the membership? There are numerous perks of the membership including:
- Unlimited Visits
- Discounted Tuition for Lectures
- Invites To Exhibitions
- Access To Art-Related Trips
Bakersfield Museum of Art
1930 R St,
Bakersfield, CA 93301
This informational article on the Bakersfield Museum of Art is brought to you by Owen, Patterson and Owen, personal injury accident attorneys in Bakersfield California. In addition to auto accidents we provide Bakersfield dog bite attorney and slip and fall lawyer services along with other personal injury cases. If you are ever injured in an accident, contact us right away for help.
If you are looking for more points of intertest in Bakersfield, here is an article on Lake Ming in Bakersfield.